The rapid changes taking place in the workplace change the skills demand dynamic and promote the importance of lifelong learning. Lifelong learning is the “ongoing, voluntary and self-motivated” knowledge pursuit for personal or professional purposes. The main benefits it provides to learners are the increased employability and competitiveness and a sense of personal development.
Having mentioned what lifelong learners gain from this process, it is essential to note that it positively affects businesses. It can help enterprises transform their operations to more efficient ones, but it also helps employee management.
Benefits of Lifelong Learning in the Workplace
The importance of lifelong learning is understood for decades now, but rapid workplace changes and increased competition make it even more urgent nowadays. This applies to both employees and businesses who want to become successful and remain competitive in a globalized competitive environment. Demand for skills, products, and services is high. Companies now realize that investing in their employees’ lifelong learning works for their benefit.
What are some of the benefits that highlight the importance of lifelong learning in the workplace?
1. Lifelong learning promotes harmony. According to studies, adult education can help employees deal with social situations better. That translates to less conflicts during workhours and thus increased the productivity of employees.
2. Helps in managing people. Lifelong learners are accustomed to always challenging themselves with something new, and therefore they are more eager to deal with work challenges.
3. It improves client satisfaction. This is a result of higher skillsets acquired through learning and training. The competence generation translates into client satisfaction and thus to a thriving business.
4. Decreases recruitment costs. Companies with an expanded set of employees’ skills can cover their increased needs easier and cheaper than a recruitment process.
5. Satisfied employees. Skillful employees are the ones that, more often than not, get promoted. This is the best way to achieve employee loyalty and, at the same time, higher productivity due to personal commitment.
The importance of lifelong learning becomes apparent when someone studies closer the provided benefits to an organization. Benefitting both the employee and the business in various ways, incorporating lifelong learning in the business strategy is no longer optional. Companies now more than ever need to embrace lifelong learning make it their organizational mission.
To learn more on the importance of lifelong learning and on ways for its organizational promotion, click here.